Friday 12 December 2008

Deuteronomy

Having kids is like being put into a desert. You start wandering and hoping that you find a signpost. Hindsight is always 20/20 and every mother wants to make sure that the "mothering" that we do is the right stuff. There are books and seminars and every well meaning mother, aunt and person with a womb has hints and tips on how to manage/bring up children. No matter what anyone tells a mother, her gut feeling is very important. I can't explain the spidey senses that tingle when I think something isn't right .
I remember when we were kids and had a fall, our parents will say " Why did you go do that for?" . Nowadays, the minute our kids fall, our mobile phones come out ready to hit 999. My sis' son was diagnosed with ASD. I understand how she felt when the diagnosis was confirmed. I remember wondering how I could find anything positive out of finding out that NJ was deaf. I remember crying for a long time even though it wouldn't change anything. The one thing that helped me through it was being told that I should be happy that NJ was born to us. We were educated, motivated and we supported each other. This child was loved and will continue to be loved and supported to reach his fullest potential.
Every parent wants to make sure that their children can look after themselves when they are older. Looking at NJ now, I can see that he will manage. I was telling hubby the other day that I would be sad when the boys don't really need me anymore. They are already quite independent and quite responsible. I am really proud of the boys. All 3 of them.
Boys are hoping for snow this Christmas. Want to make a snowman. Better go read up on the technique on making one, just in case they have been praying really hard and God answers their prayers. The boys think that Mummy has all the answers and can do everything. Yeah right, I don't have the figure or power of Wonder Woman.
Christmas looms near. There is this crazed look on people's faces trying to tidy the house etc. Me? I don't really make an exeption. The only time I make a big fuss about tidying and cleaning every nook and corner is before my mum comes to visit. My friends saw that crazed look on my face before mum came for a holiday. Yup, she still puts the fear of God in me. That and I don't take nagging very well.
Looking at the boys now, I really feel like I've walked , not quite out of the desert but, into an Oasis. I feel safer now and I am smiling again and enjoying the kids.

No comments: