Monday 8 December 2008

Leviticus..

Hey, everyone needs rules. I found out with NJ and his hearing impairment is that if we had and followed rules, he became more co operative and was "better" behaved. Rules here were going to be different than the rules we had back home. Rule number 1 - Kids to be in bed, regardless of whether they sleep or not, by 7pm. That gives mummy some "me-time" from 7pm onwards. Never had that before. Used to put the kids to bed at 10pm and slept at the same time they did. Rule number 2 - no more sugar stuff for the kids. Rule number 3 - Mummy isn't sleeping with the kids anymore (this was harder for me that the kids.) and a gazillion others that are now so ingrained in our daily lives that I don't see them as rules anymore.
NJ had to learn concepts. This is not easy unless you perform the concept e.g. on, under, between etc. I was getting some panic attacks - how on earth are we going to cram all this into this little boy's head?!? He was fitted with digital hearing aids and sent to school with a FM system and a support teacher that signs. Watching him sign his first words made all the hair that I pulled out in panic attacks worth it.
Was told a story today that someone commented that they wouldn't pick on a deaf kid in school. It well known with kids that deaf kids are stronger (physically) than normal kids or kids with any other disability. Hmmmm.... Wonder if anyone did a study on this.
Best thing is that NJ doesn't realise that he has a "disability". He needed the "be nice to people with disability" talk. He never once asked why he has hearing aids and uses the FM system. Only yesterday, for the first time, he made the comment that he was going to put his hearing aids on as his ears were broken. That sentence broke my heart. He said it matter of factly and as a mom, I still feel that somehow, it was my fault. hubby, bless him, always reassuares me (especially during PMT time ) that it wasn't a fault, he was a blessing.
I am truly blessed with a great hubby and wonderful kids.

No comments: