Friday 26 December 2008

Hark! I hear the bed a calling...New Hymn by M. Others

I can't believe that the frenzy of the last 2 weeks leading to the 25th is over by the midnight. Christmas dinner was wonderful. Roast, veg, wine , not necessarily in that order. The boys were good. All 6 of them played together without any fighting involved. Actually, I lie. They were lobbing banana skin, mushrooms and whatever you can pick up from Mario Kart DS at each other to win the race. Yes, NJ and nj got a DS each. Their friends have had them for at least a year now. I admire our boys. They weren't hankering for one nor were they doing the "but Mummy,..... Pleaseeeeeeeeee". We thought that they deserved one this year .
I was just sitting and thinking about how does one gauge what one deserves. Never mind the part of whether we can afford it or not, what are the parameters? I think, as a mother, if the kids have successfully mastered the art of pulling at Mother's heartstrings, they actually will get what they want and not necessarily not what they deserve. Why I never figured that out when I was a kid, I'll never understand. I know, I am not as smart as I think I am.
My sister gave us a lovely present and we will use it in the New Year. Spongebob toaster. The boys will be eating cheese toast, ham toast and toast in every form until Spongebob gets out of fashion.
We didn't get a white Christmas this year. The weather was mild and bright. Lovely day at Church yesterday. I have always loved the Nativity scene. I love looking at how Mary is next to baby Jesus, looking tired but happy that her baby is fine but surprised that there were Magis , 3 of them and shepherds. That itself tells you who the baby is. Oh yes, there were Angels as well. When our boys were born, they were miracles. The point of conception to delivery was a miracle as well. Watching them grow and learn is the ongoing miracle which we sometimes forget.
I can't believe that we could create these 2 lovely boys. Sometimes they drive me mad, sometimes they are so good and helpful, all the time, loving. Sitting back and admiring the fact that as Man and Wife, we have such power. Parents should realise that the power that we are given is to be used wisely. Sometimes we only get one chance and we have to treat each chance that we get like it's the only one. For someone who does not have children, it sounds daunting . Trust me, most of the time, it isn't . It may be tiring, very tiring, but it all feels worth it at the end. To see them smile and say Mummy or Daddy makes all the pain worth it. To watch them get up and get their own breakfast without waking you up is even better, hee hee hee.
We should not be looking for the next miracle that can change the world like Jesus' birth, but look at the miracle in our own homes. The ones that we are going to bring up to change the world.
Merry Christmas to all and have a good year ahead.

No comments: