Monday 15 December 2008

Slip sliding all day

It's so cold, penguins need a fur coat. I remember back home, putting air conditioning in ever nook and corner, fans in every room as well. I used to think how nice it would be to live somewhere that's cool. Yes, i got this. Probably 1 degree short of the arctic. I have on 3 layers of clothing at the moment and it does not include my bra nor my coat. I just spent a bomb on a coat. The last time I bought one was 4 years ago. Proper winter coats are dead expensive and I need it to last. It has to keep me warm as well. Weeks of debating and reading reviews on coats before I shelve out hundreds of dollars for one. My aunt likes her house as warm as the tropics. I can't function in that heat anymore. Brain just goes to shut down mode.
The roads are icy and the kids ( God look after their noggins) try to slip and slide all the way to school. Puddles are iced up and kids go around with their wellies breaking them into shards. I get worried that some of those shards are actually glass left over from a night of binging. Everything is white in the morning and from the warmth of my room, it actually looks very serene and pretty. Until one gets out on the roads towards one of the North west largest shopping centre, you'd think that the world was coming to an end and people need to stock up til the next millenium. With the price of food nowadays, I know what I'm doing with my 35foot backyard next year.
Saw the Pope this year. Went with mum to Lourdes. Her first, my third. I know they say that you can pray anywhere and God'll hear ya but there is something in Lourdes that calms me. Gives me hope, rejuvenates my spirit. When mum was here, it was also the first time I went out in the evening with friends on my own, without the kids. Never did that before. I was apprehensive and it was hard to have fun when feeling so guilty. According to Ange, my friend, she says I worry for at least 10 families. I worry that no one can handle or communicate with Nick. So far, according to family and close friends, fears not justified. I know, I know, cut the umbilical cord already.
Not ready yet today. Will try tomorrow. They're only babies for 5 minutes. Soon they'll learn to tie their shoe laces and move out. Part of me dread it, the other part can't wait.

No comments: